Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Reading Time


Reading Time has become one of my most favorite times of each day. I have been homeschooling now for 3 years. I think that I am finally figuring out my style, although it seems to have taken forever. I have finally found a curriculum that I hope that I will love.


It is a largely literature based curriculum. . . and is also biblically based. There will be lots of hands on learning and lots of read aloud time. I will be starting Aaron in Kindergarten in the fall with this curriculum and Martin will be doing a little bit of 2nd grade and a little bit of 3rd. (depending on which subject)


In anticipating all of the read alouds we will be doing this fall, I have started doing read alouds during Jonathan's nap time each day. It has become a treasured time for Martin and Aaron. Admittedly, it has become a treasured time for me too.


We started a couple weeks ago with an old book by Beverly Cleary called Runaway Mouse. The book is literally old, with yellowing pages that are falling out of the book. It was a book I had and read as a youngster. Mom saved many of the books that I read all those years ago, and I am now reading them to my own children. Well, both Martin and Aaron were completely hooked after I read the first chapter. We'd curl up on the couch each day and I would read to them a chapter. We'd talk about what we read and in the midst of reading we'd talk about words that they'd never heard before, therefore adding to their vocabulary. This is the best book club I've ever experienced!


We finished Runaway Mouse yesterday. (There are 3 books in this series, and Runaway Ralph is the 2nd of the series) I didn't realize it, but I had the 3rd one already sitting on our school bookshelf. When I was looking for the next book for us to read, I saw Ralph S. Mouse sitting there on the shelf!! I showed it to the boys, and you would have thought it was their birthday! They were so excited that we'd be able to start that book the next day!


This morning when Aaron got up, he ran straight for the bookshelf and pulled Ralph S. Mouse off the bookshelf and started begging me to read it. Too bad he had to wait several more hours before we could open the pages!


If this is any indication of how are new approach to schooling will be, I CAN'T WAIT!!

1 comment: