Monday, May 18, 2009

Anyone tired of potty updates yet?

I always have lots going on around me at once. I am sure you can imagine that with 4 children life can be pretty crazy. My youngest is only 3 months old, and is nursing lots during the daytime. My second youngest is potty training, and that can be extremely high maintenance. I am homeschooling my oldest. My second son is my only non-high maintenance one at this point.

So, the update on Jonathan is a pretty good one. He's completely daytime and nighttime "pee" trained. He is underwear 100% of the time now. Last week I dealt with his iron will and we literally were taking hundreds of trips to the potty for him to just sit there for 1 second and say "all done". Lots of pee-pee dances, and eventually a successful pee in the potty.
NO MORE OF THAT (for pee-pee, anyway). Now, everytime he has to pee he goes to his potty, and pees right away. No more doing the pee-pee dance. He's got it down.
Now on to the #2 issue. Now when he has to go #2 . . . we make hundreds of trips to the potty, and he sits for about 2 seconds (hey that's progress, right), and he gets up and says "all done". Then he dances around, makes more trips, and eventually goes in his underwear. At which point, I am so thankful that it came out, I could care less that it's in his pants. Honestly, the trips to the potty are wearing me down. JUST GO ALREADY! Go somewhere . . . go in the potty, go in your pants, JUST GO!
No, I am not frustrated at all! LOL
We have made a great deal of progress in the last week. He doesn't wear diapers anymore! That means I don't have to spend anymore precious dollars on those paper diapers that we just use once and then throw away!!! WOOHOO! He is completely #1 trained. He even woke up last night at 10:30 PM, and told me he had to pee in his potty!! YAY!!! So, he went immediately, then went back to bed. No accidents. I am so thankful for the progress that we've made. I am tossing around, offering a reward for going #2 in his potty. Real chocolate, for instance. The ghiardelli real chocolate chips . . . are a huge treat to my children, since we don't do the candy thing.
I've never done that before with potty training, but willing to try it. I'll let you know if I resort to that. I hesitate on several levels. Generally, I just wonder if it's a good idea to offer rewards like that for something that he just has to do in order to survive in life. There are many things that I require of my children on a daily basis that they have to do just in order to be a functioning member of this family. They don't get rewards for doing it. It's just expected of them. But I keep thinking that if it would speed up the process . . . I am all for not cleaning up poopy pants!
I'll let you know what I decide. And of course, before I do anything, Rich would have to approve of the method, and I have a feeling that he's not going to want to go that route.

3 comments:

  1. 100% pee-pee trained! Wow, that's amazing! I can't wait for that day!

    I've often heard that #2 is a harder battle to tackle. Some have used stickers on a sticker chart... Just another idea! Can't wait to hear the updates...

    I'm learning through your example- We'll be doing this soon with my 2, and I'll take any help I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the opposite experience. William has been poop-trained since he was 21 months. We still deal with almost daily pee-pee accidents though :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used HUGE praise with our youngest son! Tommy would call us all into the bathroom so Matthew could show us his "Big" poop...then he would flush it!! Gross for us, but great for him!! Of course I must warn you...Matthew still likes to brag about his poops (he's 26) Chase on the other hand was so easy to potty train...She went in her panties once...She was totally disgusted and I threw her panties in the trash and from that point on she never had another accident #2 anyway!! Good luck...I am so glad those days are over for us!!

    ReplyDelete