Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Jonathan Potty Update #3


I realized this time around that when enough time passes, you forget how you potty trained your last one. When I started potty training Jonathan a couple weeks ago, I felt as though it was my first time, even though it was actually my 3rd time. In many ways, I think this is a good thing. Jonathan is completely different than my other two, so how much could I really benefit from remembering how I did it with Aaron?


Anyway, Jonathan is completly potty trained now. Well, maybe not completely. He is night trained and day trained for both #1 and #2. It didn't take long to train him. It could probably be argued that it took longer with Jonathan than my other two. However, by the end of that first week, he was 100% out of diapers. (By day 4 he was sleeping in underwear at night)

The hardest part for Jonathan was going #2 on the potty. I did make him a sticker chart for going #1 (with paw print stickers), and a chart for going #2 (batman stickers) He responded well to the chart, but honestly, it seemed to me that he only cared about the chart because his brothers made it a big deal. He seemed to be the most motivated by not making a mess in his pants. He did that a couple times, and it disgusted him to the point of tears. And he didn't want to do that again. Once he went the first time in the potty, he was good to go. . . and never turned back.


So, why do I NOT consider him fully potty trained, if he's doing both consistently, not having accidents, and night trained as well???

Because he still requires my assistance to help him get his pants up and down. (even if he could do it himself . . .his stubborn little self wants my attention and wants me there with him everytime). And he won't use the big potty yet. He only wants to use his little potty.


Those two things will work themselves out, so I am not too concerned. HEY, I am not changing his diapers anymore!!! WOOHOO!!! Okay, so I am not changing his diapers, I am still changing diapers!! LOL


Admittedly, I do look forward to him being able to take care of it all himself!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, JOhnathan!!! That is awesome, and I would trade the two things that you are still doing for changing diapers anyday! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete