Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Jonathan Potty Update #4

Jonathan has decided that he prefers #2 to be in his underwear and not the potty. Hmmm . . . all new territory for me. It's difficult to be patient with him. He knows his body cues. He is not having accidents . . . it's more like. . . "on purposes".
I stuggle with this because for 2 1/2 years I trained him to poop and pee on himself. Then one day I changed the rules on him. So, I struggle with knowing how to handle these "on purposes". I don't know if fear is driving him to go in his pants. I have pretty much tomato staked him to me, so that I can catch him and get him on the potty to finish. But he is in a holding pattern right now. . . and it's hard to catch him when he only lets a little bit out at a time. He hasn't had a diaper on in a month. I am weary of this process, but I have no choice but to press on. In some ways, I wish that I would have just waited. On the other hand, I believe that Jonathan would have been difficult no matter how long I waited.
I am not certain how to proceed. He was pretty much done in about 4 days . . . and then he regressed. Someone needs to write a book called, "what to do once your child knows his body cues and trained in 4 days, but decided he didn't want to go #2 on the potty anymore".

I'd buy it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh how I feel your pain and frustration. Hudson was my strong-willed one and he would pee all over himself and poop just because or if he was mad at me. I got tired of battling it out with him so I put him back in diapers. I told him that I wasn't going to clean all that up anymore and when he decided that he wanted to wear big boy underwear and make his poops and pee pees in the potty then he could. Until then diapers! I know that's not what you want to hear, but he finally decided that he didn't want to wear diapers and that was that. It was better for both of us, b/c I wasn't spending my days stressed out and cleaning up after him, and he reacts better toward me when I'm not frustrated. I think it's real important for those spirited ones to feel like they have a voice and own something. When Hudson realized it was his decision and he was responsible he came around. Naomi was totally different. Bus the good news is that this is only a season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Larissa,
    I've been meaning give you comments on your recent posts, but alas, life doesn't allow much spare time for me right now. Anways, I just wanted to share that I have been there (and am there right now) with the potty training regression. Even though my little guy is trained, he has his days where he will just go where ever he is - it makes for a lot of wet laundry and wet floors. I don't know what to do about it.
    BUT, Eliana would choose to always poop in her pull-up. She would be in the bathroom telling me she was pooping in the potty, but guess where she was pooping? One day I decided to do something about it. I took off the poopy pull-up, turned on a luke-warm shower, gave her a bar of soap and told her to clean up the mess. I only had to do this 2 times and she never did it again.
    Loved all the pictures - finally you are NOT in a tiny place!!! YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I can see why you are frustrated. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete