Thursday, June 25, 2009

Aaron's Patch




We took Aaron to the eye doctor last week for a follow up appointment. The doctor decided that the glasses were not enough for his lazy eye. So, Aaron is following in the footsteps of both his mommy and daddy and wearing a patch on his good eye 4-6 hours each day in hopes that it will make his weak eye stronger.

I wore a patch on my eye when I was 4, and Rich had to patch his eye when he was 8. So, amblyopia definitely runs in this family! Aaron has been wearing the patch for a week now, and he's doing beautifully with it. We put it on first thing each morning and take it off about an hour after lunch.

Rich and I both suspect that Jonathan has amblyopia too. Jonathan's left eye has a tendency to turn in, making us think that maybe his left eye is the weak one. With Aaron it's the right eye, but his eye does not turn in at all. The only way we knew that he had an issue was when we covered up his good eye, he couldn't see anything. I guess time will tell with Jonathan.

For those of you that don't know. . . here is an explanation of amblyopia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amblyopia

2 comments:

  1. What a trooper with that patch over his eye! So glad that he is doing so well; and praise the Lord that he has parents who can relate and tell him everything will be okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTDT. I, too. wore a patch. To this day I can hear the sound of my eyelashes scraping against it. I am glad he he is doing well with it.

    ReplyDelete