Monday, August 2, 2010

R-E-S-P-E-C-T your husband

Today's blog post is about Respect. I can remember a conversation many, many years ago between Rich and myself. We had probably only been married 3 or 4 years. Rich said to me, "Larissa, I just need your respect!" I replied to him, "what have you done to earn it?" I'll never forget what he said back. It stayed with me and still stays with me. Although, I do have to admit, at the time I didn't understand it at all.
He said, "Larissa, respect isn't something that is earned. It either is or it isn't." (meaning it is either there and exists or it doesn't) That one flew right over my head at the time. Believe me, I thought about his words. I allowed his words to fully sink in - but I still didn't quite understand it. It took me awhile to realize that what he was saying was absolutely true in every way. There was absolutely nothing that Rich could do to earn my respect. His position in our family - alone - was worthy of my respect. Putting aside all else, the fact that God gave him the role of leader in our family was worthy of my respect.

My husband is worthy of my respect. I have had to try to figure out what causes my husband to feel disrepected by me. That can be difficult sometimes. There are still times that I am disrespectful - and totally floored when he tells me. What a journey marriage is!
I'd love to hear from my women readers on just this topic! Please post a comment here about where you are in respecting your husband. I'd love to pray for you on your journey.

6 comments:

  1. I once heard it said that women need love, and men need respect. How true is that, and something that I try to give to my husband on a daily basis. I have found that the way I speak to him or about him in front of my children is one of the best ways to edify him and show him his respected role in our family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the power of respect to our men. Respect or disrespect comes daily through our words,actions and attitudes. Planning to show a little more respect this week in my home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy's love language is words of encouragement. I truly believe that this lines up with his need for respect in our marriage. It is amazing how quickly we can tear down our husbands and not give them the respect they deserve by our words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Larissa - This is one of the most powerful messages I've read on the topic. Yes, I'm participating in the blog hop from the "Completing Him Challenge" but I also write on the topic of respect on my blog. It is my pet project and my focus in marriage.

    You have wonderfully "made the case" for obedience to God's word for the wives found in Ephesians 5:33. I will be sharing your post with my fans on Facebook and would love to include a permanent link on my blog (with your permission). Please check out my blog and let me know if you would mind having this post added as a link. It would be an honor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the kind comments today.
    I would be honored for you to poast a permanent link on your blog, Sharon.
    I will be praying for each of you as you seek to honor God in respecting your husbands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen Larissa! Respecting your husband is not a popular subject among most married women these days. I don't think there is any greater way to show my thankfulness to the Lord for my husband than by honoring and respecting Gus and his role as leader in our home. I also want my respect for Gus to serve as an example to my boys of a quality they should look for in their future wives.

    ReplyDelete