Thursday, January 28, 2010

100 Fun Facts - 26-50

26. We got a dog - a german shorthair pointer - we named her Katie. Rich is allergic to dogs, so Katie was a total gift to me. He chose the breed - I could care less what breed it was - I just wanted a dog. And just in case anyone wonders - she was his dog.

27. I became the choral director at Woodside High School. I taught 9th through 12th grade chorus. I had an unauditioned Girls Chorus and Men's Chorus, a select Women's Ensemble, a select mixed chamber chorus, and a select Jazz Choir.

28. I loved that job.

29. Rich quit Cox Communications when he was called to be pastor at a local Baptist Church in York County.

30. I took Katie to Petsmart twice a week - just for fun - what else in the world did I have to do?
31. Rich and I used to take vacations. We went on a road trip to New York State. We had an idea of where we were going and what we wanted to do, but left the itenerary wide open for surprises! We went to the fingerlakes, stayed in a bed and breakfast, and then decided on a whim to drive up to Toronto to see the Hockey Hall of Fame. On the way back, we stopped at Niagra Falls. Then at the last minute decided to drive home a different way and stopped in at Rich's grandparents house near Pittsburgh. It was one of our favorites memories.

32. We planned another vacation the summer of 2000. We planned a trip all around being able to take our dog. We found cabin in the mountains of NC where our dog was welcome. So, we spent a week in this cabin in the mountains - no television - just lots of quiet time - reading - sitting on the porch looking out at the view. We went on hiking trips, took Katie swimming at a mountain lake, went to an olympic site where they did the white water rafting. It was a fantastic vacation!

33. We lived about 10 minutes from my sister and her family. Her husband is a pastor too, so we were unable to go to church together. We were both so busy that we didn't get to see each other much. She was busy with her children and I was busy with my job and church.

34. We met Tony and Marsha Ingraldi at the church where Rich pastored. They have become like family to us. We try to spend time with them every chance we get - they live in Virginia.

35. Rich taught me how to cook. My mom would have taught me lots of things if she could have ever pulled me away from the piano - so, after we were married Rich helped me learn the art of cooking. He still enjoys giving me pointers.

36. I miss living in Virginia. Although I grew up military,and moved around quite a bit, Virginia has always felt like home.

37. We were married almost 5 years when our first child was born. We spent those entire first 5 years planning for me to stay at home when we had children. So, even though, our income dropped by almost half - we never had to change our lifestyle. We always lived as though we only had one income.

38. Rich is brilliant with finances. I never touch our finances. He does all the bank work. Thank you, Lord!

39. We live well below our means because we want to pay cash to buy a house. We plan on renting until we can buy a house without a loan.

40. Rich is one of the most diverse people I know - I am not diverse.

41. The tragedy of 9/11 came shortly after we found out that we were expecting our first child.

42. I thought that because no woman in my family had ever had morning sickness - I wouldn't have it either. I was wrong. And for me, it was all day sickness - and lasted for 16 weeks, and got worse with each pregnancy.

43. When we had our 20 week u/s, they told us that it was a 96% chance it was a girl. They were wrong. I knew they were wrong. My feeling was boy. It left me feeling very confused.

44. Martin Emery was born in 2002. He was named after my dad and Rich's paternal grandfather.

45. I was a completely inexperienced mom. I'd hardly even held a baby for more than a few minutes. I felt completely inadequate - and that I didn't even have any motherly instincts. I discovered that I just needed to figure it out myself, and stop listening to everyone else and their advice.

46. Rich's Mom and Dad came to Virginia and spent a week with us after Martin was born. Rich's dad cooked all of our meals that week. (amazing cook that he is!) We were lost when they left. We were afraid we would starve because I couldn't figure out how to cook a meal and also take care of a baby. (4 babies later - that now makes me laugh)

47. Martin had colic. He screamed 24/7. He only slept 40 minutes at a time. He did finally grow out of it by about 6 weeks old.

48. My parents moved to the town where we lived the same week that Martin was born. It was a blessing to have them so close to us!

49. We moved to NC almost a year after my parents moved to our town to be close to us. We had no idea it would work out that way. Thankfully, my sister and her family were and are still there within a mile of my parent's house.

50. I did not want to move to NC. I knew that it was the right move for Rich. I knew that he needed to get his PhD, and that this was the next logical step for our family. But I was not happy about leaving Virginia.

3 comments:

  1. I love these random facts!! They are so much fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about your vacation trips and your dog! We love vacations, but the planner that I am, I have never just left the itinerary open. Maybe we'll have to do that one day. Sounds like so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ejoying how you are able to turn this into a story of your life! Most of it I remember you telling me, and I like hearing the new stuff.

    ReplyDelete