Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ice Cream Sandwiches - homemade

Many of my readers may already know that we eat a whole foods diet, limit the amount of sugar we consume to mostly natural sugars (fruits), and milling all of our grains before baking bread, etc. I have noticed that since we started eating this way, that those "treats" have become genuine treats. My children have become accustomed to our healthy lifestyle, but they are children, so of course they want to enjoy those sugary foods every now and then. It's always a joy to see their eyes widen and light up because they are going to get one of those treats.

But being the health crazed person that I am, I can't just go to the store and buy a box of ice cream sandwiches. I had to make them myself!
So, I started by making the cookie part of the ice cream sandwich. I used spelt grain for the flour - and ancient European grain that is 30% higher in protein than regular hard white or hard red wheat. I used evaporated cane juice for the sweetener, butter, eggs, baking powder, and cocoa.
I used Breyers all natural vanilla bean ice cream. (Okay, so I didn't make my own ice cream, I have to take breaks where I can get them! But I did use Breyers because it has significantly less ingredients)
I baked the cookies and waited for them to cool:
Then I softened the ice cream, and put it in between two cookies. I placed each ice cream sandwich in an individual bag.
So, yeah, it's loaded with sugar. . . but at least there isn't any soybean oil, high fructose corn syrup, or partially hydrogenated oils!
AND THEY LOVED THEM!!!

2 comments:

  1. They look great. I actually just stopped buying Breyer's because the vanilla is no longer just cream, milk, sugar, and vanilla beans. They started adding a filler or two since they were bought. Now I wait for a good sale on Hagaan Daz-cream, sugar, and egg.

    ReplyDelete