Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Granola

Oatmeal Raisin Granola

I have had several people asking me for this recipe, so I thought I'd post it here for easy access.

Oats and almonds

6 cups Old fashioned Oats

1 cup wheat germ

1/2 cup coconut oil

1/2 cup honey

1/3 cup water

3/4 cup sliced almonds (or more if you like lots of almonds)

1 cup coconut

2 tsp cinnamon (or less if you desire)

1/2 - 1 tsp of sea salt

Bake @ 250 degree oven - stir every 15 minutes or so - bake until the desired crispiness.

I will often bake it about an hour and a half, stirring it every so often, and then turn the oven off for an hour or so, then baking it a little longer. Length of time you bake it depends on how crispy you like your granola. The longer you bake it the crispier it will be. You can use this as a base - and then make your granola however you like. You can add different kinds of dried fruit. Rich doesn't like coconut, so when I make it, I make half of it with coconut and half of it with raisins, but keep everything else the same. My dad likes his with pecans or walnuts instead of almonds. You can use 100% maple syrup instead of honey and add pecans instead of almonds. There are many variations that you can try! You can use dried cranberries instead of coconut - or raisins instead of coconut like I did in one of the pictures above. The sky is the limit. You can add sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds if you like.

Just an FYI. . . I do not add the wheat germ to the granola when I make it. I grind my grain and make fresh whole grain bread on a daily basis, so my children get PLENTY of wheat germ. However, if you don't have a rich source of wheat germ, then adding it could be a good thing!

1 comment:

  1. This is something that I have wanted to try for a long, long time. It looks really yummy. Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete