Friday, August 14, 2009

Breaded Chicken - The Process

I have had many people ask me how to make homemade chicken nuggets. Let's face it . . . children love them, and my children are no exception! I struggled with this for many years, because we rarely to never do fast food, and I didn't want to buy the frozen chicken nuggets with who knows what along with a million other ingredients in them. So, I made it my mission to get really good at making them from scratch. It took me awhile to figure out the process, but I finally did. . . and it works! Don't skip any step. Don't bread them and put them right on to cook. You really do need to freeze them first. Otherwise the breading won't stay on them! I've experiemented like crazy with these things, so you can benefit from all of my failures! These are super yummy . . . and super healthy! (special thanks to Rich for taking the pictures while he was cooking them!!!)The first step: Cut the chicken into the size and shape you want. Dredge in freshly milled whole grain flour, then dredge through an egg wash(combination of an egg and water), then dredge through freshly made whole grain bread crumbs plus several spices. (I used onion powder, garlic powder, lots of freshly milled pepper, and paprika-and I have no measurements to pass on. . . just a little of this and a little of that - oh, and I threw some parmesan cheese in with the bread crumbs too)

2nd step: Put them on a large cookie sheet, and throw them in the freezer for a few hours.

3rd Step: Take them off the cookie sheet once frozen and throw them in a freezer bag. Then they are ready to go whenever you need them!

4th Step: Rich takes over at this point for me. I am good at the preparation of them and he's good that the cooking of them! We cook them in coconut oil.

Here they are getting nice and golden!

A nice close up!

Out of the pan and cooling on the plate - these are for the children. I made larger pieces for Rich and myself. Typically when I make these chicken fingers, I serve it with whole grain pasta and homemade pasta sauce. (Chicken Parmesan) The children prefer to not have sauce on their chicken fingers, but they eat the pasta with sauce on the side.

This is the "adult" plate


And here it is 10 seconds later!

No comments:

Post a Comment