Thursday, April 15, 2010

Today - 1 year

I started this blog 1 year ago today. I have enjoyed keeping up with this blog and journaling about our everyday happenings. I love that I have an account complete with pictures to help in remembering all the things that we are doing - even the mundane things.
I can't believe that we've lived in this house for almost a year. I am thinking that I might just put some pictures on the wall soon. Yes, I am that person. The one who has pictures sitting in piles here and there waiting to get them on the walls. But in my defense. . . when we moved in to this house, I really didn't think we'd be here for long. (I have got to stop thinking that way!) I decided not to put the pictures on the wall because there was a small chance that we might move again, so why bother? Well, maybe I should just go ahead and put them on the wall. Surely if I do, that will be the time we get word that it's time to move. The other problem I have is that I don't really know how to put pictures on the wall. I know, I know . . . sad, but true. I just don't have an eye for such things. I know when things look nice, I just don't know how to make it look nice. I am definitely not girly in that way.
I am really longing to lay down roots. Rich and I have both had those longings for sometime now. We've been living in this town for 7 years now, and still don't call it home. I could call it home. But in order to do that I need to know that it is home. How do you call a place "home" if you are in the mindset that you could possibly have to move away? I would love to move back to Virginia - but Rich and I both laugh about that. I have never actually lived in the part of Virginia where I want move. But even still, Virginia, (all of it) even the parts where I haven't lived seems like home.
At this point, I'd settle for calling most anyplace home. Yes, I know that my family is home. But, for all of you who have been transient . . . you know what I mean! I spent my entire childhood moving from one place to another, never really having a home base until we moved to Virginia. Virginia became home to us. Virginia still seems like home to me.
I think that where I live now could be home too. I am not sure why this has been on my mind so much lately. I guess as I get closer to 40 . . . the more I just want to be somewhere and stay there. Rich feels the same way. I suppose that for now, just as the past 7 years, we just need to be content where we are and wait patiently for the next step to be revealed. I am a pretty low maintenance kind of a person. I don't need much to be happy. So, for now, I am just praying that this "on edge" and "tired of waiting for the next step" feeling will be replaced by joy and peace.

2 comments:

  1. A year already?! I'm glad you are blogging - I've enjoyed your blog very much.
    Sorry I missed your call yesterday. I was out with my mom and Eliana to the mall!! Thankful that I am doing so much better the past couple of weeks, even though I still have my off days. I need to update my pregnancy blog at some point soon. Hope you are having a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you on the picture hanging thing. When we were first married we lived in our apartment for 5 years. We never hung any pictures on the walls. The first few years we were in our current home I never hung anything, either.

    I say-get hanging.

    ReplyDelete