Saturday, February 6, 2010

Puffy Pancakes - using soaked flour


Many of you may already know that in order for us to eat as we do, it requires a great deal of planning on my part. I have to know exactly what I am making each day for breakfast and each day for dinner. I keep a daily breakfast schedule, so that I will remember to soak the flour the night before. (soaking the freshly milled flour in an acid medium such as buttermilk or whole milk yogurt with live cultures optimizes nutrition!!) Most of the time, I follow my daily breakfast menu without any trouble. However, one Friday a week or so ago, I was out of everything. I was out of milk, only had 2 eggs, I was even out of bread - I had to make bread that day) What was I to do? I had to come up with something quick to feed my children - that didn't require milk - that only used two eggs - and that didn't require any of my home baked bread.
So, I leafed through a recipe book for ideas. I found a recipe for Puffy Pancakes. I wasn't going to be able to soak the grain overnight. (I figured they would survive) So, I milled some soft white grain and mixed all the ingredients together and put it in the oven. . . hoping they would all like it. The recipe does call for milk - I just used a mixture of water and buttermilk in it's place. It worked fine.
The children LOVED it. The recipe only makes one Puffy Pancake the size of a 9 inch pie plate. I gave each boy 1 quarter of the pancake - then Aaron and Martin shared the last quarter.

I made it again this morning - only this time I was prepared! I soaked spelt and soft white pastry flour overnight and mixed in the rest of the indredients this morning. It was even better this morning. Soaking brings another layer of flavor to it.

The Recipe:
Puffy Pancakes

2 TBS Butter (melt in pie plate while oven is preheating - this makes the puffy pancake crispy on the bottom)

2 eggs

1/2 cup flour (I used whole grain and made my own flour using soft white and spelt-original recipe is for all purpose flour)

1/2 cup milk (I used buttermilk/distilled water)

1/4 tsp sea salt


Soak the 1/2 cup flour overnight in an acid medium such as buttermilk/whole milk yogurt. (1/2 cup) The next morning add in the rest of the ingredients.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake for 25-30 minutes until it is nice and golden!

I put agave nectar and warm 100% maple syrup on their piece of pancake.

3 comments: