Monday, February 22, 2010

Making flags

We studied Besty Ross this week in our history lessons, so our Art for the week was making flags out of homemade frosting and graham crackers.

I made the frosting using powdered sugar, vanilla extract, a pinch of salt, butter, and a little water. I added food coloring to make the red and blue.

Part of the project was for them to eat their creation when they were done. But I couldn't bring myself to allow them to eat something that contained food coloring - so, the boys were under strict orders not to eat the red or blue frosting. You'll just have to give me a break(food nerd that I am), though. . . considering that it was a stretch that I actually let them eat graham crackers. (which contain both high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils) I did frost a couple of the graham crackers with the white frosting and let them eat it.
We really enjoyed making our flags. Martin, Aaron, and I each made a flag. Can you tell who made which one? Post your guess in the comment area!

4 comments:

  1. I vote Mom on top, Aaron second, and Martin on bottom! What a fun craft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun!
    Hmmmm, is this a trick question? Let's see
    TOP - Martin
    MIDDLE - Aaron
    BOTTOM - Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess: Mom on top, Aaron in the middle, and Martin on the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It wasn't a trick, Janet! :)

    Kathy and pam are right. Mine is on top, Aaron in the middle, and Martin on the bottom.

    ReplyDelete