Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Maker's Diet

Fresh Salad with hamburger topped with guacamole

cheese omelette topped with guacamole


We are in week two of following The Maker's Diet.

.It is a 40 day program that has 3 phases to it. We are currently in Phase 1. This is not intended to be a weight loss program for us. The goal is to optimize our health and try to eliminate any health issues that we may have.
Phase one is specifically geared toward cleansing the body. There are many foods that we cannot eat in this phase. The main foods we have to stay away from our grains, most fruits except for berries, grapefruit, lemons, and limes, beans, most nuts except for raw almonds, and dairy, except for raw goat's milk, and goat cheese.
Phase one is definitely the hardest, but we have been eating delicious foods! It helps to have a great cook in the house to help me prepare our meals! Phase Two will start next Monday, at which point we will add many fruits, beans, raw cow's milk, raw cow's milk cheddar, whole milk yogurt, and more raw nuts. So, Phase Two should be a piece of cake!!
We already eat a mostly whole foods diet - so this hasn't been that much of a stretch for us. But we do miss our freshly baked whole grain breads, pancakes, and waffles.
Rich has done very well with the diet. He has noticed some good health benefits for him. He is not having sugar crashes anymore after each meal. (each time he ate, he would drag and feel as though he was going to fall asleep)
I have done well with the diet too - but I have been experiencing some bouts of low blood sugar. Eliminating the grains and fruit from my diet has caused some spells of dizziness, headaches, and general fatigue as well as being nauseated. Once I figured out what was going on, I contacted my friend who is a certified natural health practicioner, and she gave me a remedy that I could take for those spells.
The pictures above are some meals that we have enjoyed over the week. We may have been missing our grains, but we have been eating very delicious and nutrition packed food!

Some meals that I have made this week:

Meatballs (with no bread crumbs - just spices and egg) with homemade pasta sauce

Meatloaf (made with lentils, eggs, spices), with pureed cauliflower, and italian green beans

Baked Lemon Basil Chicken with fresh raw broccoli and salad

French Style London Broil with asparagus and italian green beans

***Update***
I made Rich a cheese omelett topped with guacamole and he did not like it.
I made myself an cheese omelett with guacamole for the second time, and it wasn't nearly as delicious as it was the first time. However, we both loved the guacamole on the burger. That one is a winner for sure!


1 comment:

  1. I had a crazy dream last night that Davin and I ran into you and Rich at our Church here in GA. You were so skinny I hardly recognized you, and Rich had a big bowl hair cut with the ends dyed! Too funny! Don't blow away on this new diet or you might end up down south...

    ReplyDelete