Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Maker's Diet - Phase Two

A very delicious chili that I made on the first day of Phase Two!! It included pasture fed beef from Hawks Family Farm, 3 different varieties of beans, and lots of yummy veggies, herbs, and spices. It was a happy day for the Hollands!
In Phase Two of the Maker's Diet, we have added several more foods back into our diet. We made it through the detox phase! We added beans, sweet potatoes, apples and pears, as well as many other fruits. The biggest deal to us was being able to add beans! Rich has rather enjoyed the addition of sweet potatoes as well. We've also added in raw pecans and walnuts.

We have made it through more than half of the 40 days now - and amazingly enough - without much difficulty. I really thought that it would be quite difficult for me to eliminate grains for such a long time, but I am amazed at how easy it has been. Rich has had many moments of frustration because of the lack of convenience involved is this diet. As far as the grains go, the hardest part for him is not eating pasta. Once we do start adding grains back into the diet, we'll still have to be very careful about the amount of pasta he eats each week. (and try to figure out a way to get him some whole grain sprouted pasta - without paying $4 a pound - or adding yet another thing for me to do in my day.) I already have to figure out how to make bread using soaked flour - I'd prefer to not have to make pasta at this point in my life when I am busy with so many other things. We are still working on figuring that out, though.

On day 29, we get to add grains slowly back into our diet. I will admit to looking forward to some hot home baked whole grain bread - fresh out of the oven. But I haven't missed it nearly as much as I thought I would.

On a side note, Rich has lost about 8 pounds while eating this way. I've lost about 4-5 pounds. Although weight loss was not our goal - neither of us are complaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment