Monday, July 25, 2011

The Black Widow



d
Align CenterThe children told me about a spider and an egg sac that they found in the playset. I didn't think much of it. I even climbed up and looked at it. They were excited about it because they wanted to see the baby spiders come out of the egg sac. Martin and Aaron told me not to touch the egg sac. Rich got up in the playset to work on it a little and he immediately said he thought it was a black widow. So, he sprayed it and put it and the egg sac in a bag. Sure enough there was a red hourglass on it. I was a little stunned that the spider our children had been observing was a black widow. I am beyond thankful that it was identified and dealt with before we had a thousand more black widows in our backyard!

3 comments:

  1. Yuck, yuck, yuck!! I hate spiders, especially these. We had them all over our back yard and in the garage when we lived in California. I remember my dad would collect them as they were found and put them into a glass jar - how I hated looking at that jar!

    So glad you got this one taken care of before one of the boys got bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY!!! This gives me the eebie jeebies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you guys found and killed it too! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete