Sunday, September 6, 2009

Spelt Bread

In July, I had to place an order for 250 pounds of grain. I was out of Kamut grain by April. . .and was slowly running out of soft white, Prairie Gold hard white, and oat groats. For some reason, it took alot longer to get our grain than it usually does. So, while I was waiting on the grain to arrive, I ran out of everything except Spelt.
I only use spelt for pancakes, waffles, and muffins. I was always intimidated to try to get a good loaf of spelt bread. But I had to make a decision. Either I was going to need to figure out how to make spelt bread or go by bread from the store.
I was up for the challenge, so I read about it for a few days, then got up the nerve to come up with a recipe that I thought would work. Spelt is somewhat tricky. It has much less gluten in it, which is why people who are allergic to gluten can usually tolerate it. It is also quite dense.
So, you have to use about 25% less liquids than you would with regular wheat.
Good news. . .the recipe that I developed. . . worked beautifully the first time! And spelt has a deliciously nutty flavor. I made 100% spelt bread out of necessity and found out that it wasn't that difficut afterall. . .and it's delicious!
Our grain has now arrived. . . so we'll be going back to using mostly hard white for my bread. . . but I'll be making a loaf of spelt every once in a while to enjoy!
And on a side note. . . my most favorite grain is kamut. . . so I am very excited to have kamut again!

No comments:

Post a Comment