Friday, September 18, 2009

Kombucha

Add Kombucha to the list of health foods that we have added to our repertoire!! Kombucha is a colony of yeast and bacteria that is somewhat mushroom looking. We got a Kombucha starter from a friend here in town.
Rich is the one who is mainly drinking the Kombucha. (although, once we get into a good routine, have more than one kombucha starter, and can keep enough on hand, I do want to drink it regularly as well.) Rich has been doing all the work to make it.

The process:
Brew 3/4 gallon of black tea:


Let it cool completely.
Add the Kombucha starter:


Cover it tightly in a large glass container.
Let it sit in a dark area for 10-14 days to ferment.
Pull out the mushroom looking colony of yeast and bacteria.
Strain the liquid.
Store in a glass container in the refrigerator.
Drink 4 ounces daily:
Kombucha tea is rich in antioxidants and probiotics. Some Kombucha benefits include: arthritis pains, intestinal problems, digestive disorders, kidney stones, high cholesterol, chronic fatigue, asthma, bronchitis, migraine, eczema, headaches, constipation, diabetes, rheumatism, anxiety, dizziness and insomnia. Problems associated with advancing years, such as high blood pressure, poor eye sight, arteriosclerosis and gout may also be helped by consuming Kombucha.

So. . . here we go. . . embarking on a new adventure. We'll have to let you know how it goes!

8 comments:

  1. I've heard of this. Rich - what does it taste like? I can't say that it looks good (these pics look good, lol, but I've seen some that make my stomach turn!)

    Also, Larissa - if it's made of yeast...does it not cause um...yeast infections? I mean, I guess more sugar causes that, yes, but, ...?? lol

    Thank you again for more valuable info! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok - that completly grossed me out :-p !!!

    I had the same thought as the last poster about the yeast. I don't know if you remember me telling you, but many years ago I had candida albicans (over growth of yeast in the guts). I would think this would not be good for that. But, I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fermenting process causes it to be loaded with probiotics!! So, no, it would not cause yeast, and would likely cure a yeast infection.

    Also, when it's done fermenting, it doesn't taste sweet at all! We mix it with grape juice to drink it.
    It tastes somewhat vinegar like. The grape juice helps it quite a bit! When Rich mixed it with grape juice, he said it tasted a little like wine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I interested to see how this one goes...Not quite ready for this one. It sounds like it's a great thing. I know that probiotics are great if you get really good ones. We have seen some great improvements with Hudson since we started taking them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not that I know all that much about wine... but mixed with grape juice, I think it actually tastes better than some wines that I have tasted.

    On the yeast issue - there is yeast everywhere, including the air we breathe. But not all yeast is the same. There are different strains that do different things. Some makes your bread rise, some gives you a yucky rash.

    The yeast in Kambucha would not give you a yucky rash (or anything else) ... or else people would not have been drinking it so much over the past few thousand years.

    I'm not sure if I will receive any health benefits, but it is worth a try. My immune system could use whatever help it can get!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh... one more thing.

    It tastes much better when consumed from a glass that has a Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets coat of arms on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd definitely have to disagree with the VT glass ;-)

    Thanks for all the bits of info though! Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Larissa,

    I couldn't believe when I saw this link on a blog I read http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/07/kombucha-refreshing-summer-drink.html
    Never had heard of this stuff and now twice in a week!

    ReplyDelete