Thursday, September 17, 2009

My little thinker. . .


Aaron drew a picture yesterday. It's a pretty common thing for him to do these days. The pictures he draws are pretty much the same each time. The picture almost always includes me and him holding hands or fishing or whatever he happens to think of at that particular moment.


When he's done drawing the picture, he always brings it to me - oh so proudly - and presents it to me like a most treasured gift. This time, he started writing something on the picture, so I had to bend down closely to see exactly what he was doing. Writing is fairly new to Aaron, and when he writes letters that we havn't practiced. . . I have to look really closely to figure out what he's written.


He wrote:

"win i loz kintrol i fol dawn nd git a blade ne"

Interpreted:

When I lose control, I fall down and get a bloody knee.


It's interesting to see the differences between Aaron and Martin. At 4 1/2, Martin was an excellent reader (for that age), however, he never sat down and tried to spell anything. Aaron is such a thinker. He's always trying to write something down, whether he thinks he can spell it or not. He just sounds it out and writes it down the way he hears it!

When I was done reading what he wrote, I glanced at the top of the paper, and saw that he had written in big letters:

SEPTEMPR 61

Interpreted:

SEPTEMBER 16


As he was working on his picture, he asked me what day it was, what month it was, etc. I didn't realize he was trying to write it down! Not too shabby on the spelling of September!

2 comments:

  1. What a little thinker/problem solver! That is great! He did a terrific job figuring it out on his own! And how sweet to get those treasures with a proud little face! LOVE IT!

    Does he have to wear his patch all the time now or just at home? I have POOR vision in one eye and missed a correct diagnosis when I was small so I think it is great that you are catching it so early!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He wears his patch 9 hours each day. Rich and I both wore a patch. I wore a patch at age 4 just like Aaron. Rich's wasn't caught until he was about 8.
    I am not sure how much the patch actually helped me, though.(I still have issues) I have heard, though, that the patch can sometimes completely solve the problem. I am hoping that is the case with Aaron.

    ReplyDelete