Friday, April 17, 2009

Choosing Curriculum

Every year around February, I start evaluating the school year. How did it go this year? Did the curriculum I chose work for him? Did he succeed in meeting the expectations for his grade level? I started early this year because because Rosalie was due in February. I wanted to have it all ironed out and decided before she was born, since I would have my hands full once she was born.
So, I evaluated and made all my plans. I was completely decided and ready to go before she was born. And since she was born I have already changed my mind about my "decisions" twice and going on my third change of mind. I love homeschooling and am totally committed to it, but havn't found a curriculum yet that I just absolutely love and want to continue from year to year. This year did not go well. Martin achieved all the learning goals, but the approach that I used just didn't work at all.
I am looking for a more wholistic approach to learning. I am searching for a way of learning that will produce an independent thinker. I don't want to skip all the fun things because of the things that we just have to get done. (But that is exactly what happened this year)
So, I am pretty sure that we are going to go the Charlotte Mason route, which is learning through literature. I have found a curriculum that seems to be a good fit for us. It's called Heart of Dakota. I am going to order the Kindergarten for Aaron and the 2nd/3rd grade for Martin. Martin is a year ahead so I plan on taking the next two years to complete 3rd grade, and in the process cultivate back in him a love for learning.
I am excited about our school year. My heart's desire for my children is to shape their hearts, nurture their developing characters, encourage independent thinking, and educate them a little too! :)

4 comments:

  1. I hope you have a good school year with your choice. I can remember my mom always using something new from year to year.
    I am getting the Kindergarten from AOP for Eliana to start this summer. Have you tried them? I'll let you know how I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havn't tried the AOP. Is it worksheet based? I am trying to get away from that. It doesn't work for Martin at all. I am hoping that the Charlotte Mason approach will work. I have mostly done Abeka and Rod and Staff. I love the Abeka approach to teaching reading and phonics. I love the Rod and Staff reading, and still plan on using that next year. (it is outstanding . . . and is all Bible Passages) So, it can serve as both reading and Bible curriculum! Next year, I am ordering the 3rd grade Bible reading from Rod and Staff and having Martin read it out loud to Aaron, and it will serve as Martin's reading and Bible, and Aaron's Bible!!!
    Rod and Staff has outstanding English. And I plan on starting that with Martin next year along with the Heart of Dakota core.
    This year, I am using Abeka Language 3 with him. It's really a journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet . . . did you see my first post? It has pictures of all the children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel. For math, science, and history we are sticking with what we used this year. I did a bit of soul searching over our Language Arts program for the upcoming year. I have changed my mind about 3 times now.

    ReplyDelete