Saturday, April 21, 2012

Abiding in Christ

This is a topic I have been spending a lot of time thinking about.
John 15:1-4
15 “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away;[a]and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.


This passage is incredibly inspiring to me. I have been reading this passage, meditating on it, and thinking about how it looks in my own life. At first glance, I am amazed that I have a Father that is the vinedresser! He takes away the branches that do not bear fruit. He prunes the branches that do bear fruit so that it may bear more! He loves me, He wants me to bear fruit, and is personally involved in my life! He has made me clean! So, what is my responsibility in all of this? It's simple, right? Abide in Me. 


What does that look like in my life? What does it look like to Abide in Him? For me, abiding in Christ is spending time in His Word and specifically praying the Scriptures. I have found that when I am not spending time in His Word, that I am clearly not bearing fruit. I am impatient, forever frustrated, lacking gentleness, faithfulness and self control. (and so on and so on)
When I am spending intentional time with the Lord, I am equipped to handle whatever comes my way. My children are far more likely to accept loving correction from me when I am bearing fruit. There is no question that my life is rich and rewarding, peaceful and joyful when I am abiding in Him. More importantly, though, my children have a living testimony in me of how to live a rich and rewarding, peaceful and joyful life.
It's so easy to allow life to become an overwhelming mess that is so out of control that there is little hope left. The answer to that is to abide in Him. It may seem overwhelming even to get back to that place of abiding if you've not been there in awhile.  God has made that easy for us by giving us the Bible, so that we have a clear life manuel to follow. We have the complete and perfect Word of God that gives us clear life instructions.

I recently asked my 7 year old and almost 10 year old an important question.
"In what area do you struggle with sin?"
Martin said, "self control!" (without hesitation)
Aaron said, "contentment!" (again without hesitation)
I was amazed at how quickly they were able to identify areas of struggle ... without any leading and suggesting from me!
So, I was able to give them specific scriptures to pray so that they can overcome that sin in their life and giving them instruction on how to abide in Christ. (so they know that the answers to any area of struggle is in Christ)

We will always be in a state of overcoming sin in our lives. Spending time with the Lord, praying, having true fellowship and accountability with other believers is what helps in the lifelong pursuit of abiding in Christ. (yes, telling other believers  about sin in your own life...telling others that you do not lead a perfect life ... that there are areas in your life that you need help with and prayer for) We need each other. My children need me to disciple them, teach them what it looks like to abide in Christ, and I need fellow believers to pray for, love, disciple, and experience community with on this journey of abiding in Christ.

In what areas do you struggle? How can I pray for you?

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post, Larissa. Abiding in Him truly is the key to a fulfilled, "walking with the Spirit" life. Thank you for being willing to pray for me! Love ya friend!

    ReplyDelete