Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Advent

We are celebrating advent this year and each day we read a passage of scripture that points us to our need for a Savior. When we first decided that this tradition of the advent banner was something we needed to do - we had no idea how the children would respond. They have really enjoyed it. I set up a very simple and small craft for them each to do that only takes about 5 minutes. Then we sit down together in the living room while Rich reads the passage of Scripture to us. Then when he's finished reading, he asks questions to the children, clarifies anything that needs clarifying, and we pin their craft to the banner. I only have one place for each day's craft, so I pin all 3 of the sheets onto the banner, but only one of them is actually visible. (we take turns on that - Martin does a great job of keeping track of all that - he lets me know each night whose craft gets to be on top)

I love how this activity really helps focus the children on our need for a Savior. I love how we are spending time throughout each and every day talking about preparing our crafts and the anticipation of what we'll be reading that night. What a joy it has been to watch the children embrace this activity and enjoy it so much.

I have struggled with how awkward this time of year has become. I have spent years trying to figure out how we fit in to all of it. We don't put up a tree, we don't adorn our house in greens and reds, and we don't do santa claus - none of the commercial/secular traditions of our culture. I began searching for ways that we could make our own traditions for our family. Everything I did seemed like a disingenuous attempt at turning something secular into something sacred.
So, my next thought was just to ignore the whole thing completely. Afterall, Jesus wasn't actually born on December 25th, anyway. That didn't work out so well either. I have a deep desire to celebrate the greatest Gift God could have given. I hope and pray that I am faithful to do that year around, though. (not just in December)
The passages we are reading not only point to the coming of Jesus, but also point to our desperate need for a Savior. Celebrating our Savior's birth misses the point, unless we acknowledge the purpose for which He came: to rescue us from sin. I know for certain that there is nothing that I can do to make Christmas "special". No amount of decorating can make it anymore special. Christmas is about our Savior. What can I possibly add to that to make it any better? For the first time in a long time, I finally rest in knowing that I don't have to do anything. It's already been done. . . and it is worth celebrating just as it is.
So, I am certain that the activity of the advent readings and banner is a perfect fit for our family. I am thankful for others who have blogged about this very topic and gave me the idea to try this with our family. I am thankful for my husband who started me on this journey 12 years ago with a few thought provoking questions.
Pictures of our advent banner are here.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see a picture of your banner! Our children have loved our advent activities too...their favorite of which is 24 little books that we read one per day and then hang on their tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what a challenge it is to go "against the grain". You are right! It is important to celebrate our Savior's birth and the reason why he came.
    I remember Vodie Bauckham preaching about how his mother was a Buddhist and how she would burn incense and give Buddha gifts...something for all five senses. It really made an impact on him. He says he can still smell the incense and see the oranges. The point is we too should be celebrating our faith in such a way that it makes a huge impact on our children. I hope my children won't forget the excitement of our treasure hunt on Christmas morning that leads us to Baby Jesus. Hopefully it will remind them of the excitement the Shepherds must have felt when they heard and saw the angel proclaiming Christ's birth. As parents we have the awesome privilege of giving our children amazing memories that they will carry with them. Memories that will make a statement about how amazing it is that God took on flesh and stepped out of heaven and into our world in order to save us from our sins. It's a big deal and we should celebrate it as such.
    I'm in this journey with you and I love your advent banner! Keep sharing...one day when the kids are grown we will have it all figured out, right? LOL!

    My prayer for this year is that my children would find the miracle of Christmas in the manger not their stockings.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larissa - thank you for posting this. My girls don't really understand the secular things, but they enjoy them. We don't talk about them, but they get excited to see it all. We talk to them and read to them daily about the real meaning of Christmas. They actually get more excited about looking for baby Jesus in all the decorations they see!

    I struggle with how to handle the whole holiday, and this is our last year to really figure it out. I have really wanted to focus on Advent and, after reading how special it has proven to be for your family, I think this is the road I will go down. While the children are eager to learn, I want to make sure they are learning the right things. Mark and I have struggled with the whole Santa thing, but I can honestly say that I have an unsettled spirit every time I think about it. I would love to omit it altogether.

    I do love to decorate and I don't think I could ever give that up. I think for us, I can balance the "look" with the meaning (omitting Santa) - at least I hope I can! I love the Christmas decorations! I'll keep you posted.

    Thanks again! I love hearing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete