Monday, July 26, 2010

Aaron can read



It's been brought to my attention that I have not blogged about the fact that Aaron can read. We started K last year and worked our way through some phonics books, but I never really felt as though I was teaching him anything. In fact, he was already reading short one vowel words before we even started last fall. Aaron seems to just be like that in most areas of life. I have no explanation for why he can do the things he can do. He just can. So, around February ... I slowed Aaron down quite a bit with school, and even considered not finishing K and not moving on to 1st grade. He seemed very frustrated with the school work. I didn't want to make the mistake of moving him ahead if he wasn't ready. So, I just really let up on what we were doing. We started doing only 2 days a week instead of 5, and went really light on the work load.
We got about 2/3 of the way through the K year. Around May of this year, I sat him down to work on a phonics worksheet and didn't have the chance to explain to him what to do. I was working on something in the kitchen when I overheard him read the direction to himself, and then say out loud, "oh, I know how to do that". . . then he proceeded to do it. I was stunned. The directions were not only complex ... they contained words that he should have NOT been able to read. (words like "special sounds" and "correct") I knew that he was an advanced reader - I was not surprised about that. I was truly amazed that he could read complex directions with difficult words and then apply it all without difficulty.
So, at that point ... I realized that Aaron's frustration was boredom. So, the rest of May was spent finishing up his K year, so that I could go ahead and move him on to 1st grade.
He not only can read. He can read well. He can sit down and read most anything ... AND he can tell me by paraphrasing what he read. He is already an independent reader.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for Aaron! Can't wait to see what he can do when "pushed" in 1st grade with some harder books!

    ReplyDelete