Saturday, March 6, 2010

Making bread and pizza crust with soaked flour.

I've known for a long time that I needed to add this step to my breadmaking. I've been soaking flour for pancakes, waffles, and muffins for a couple of years. I wanted to add that step to my bread baking, but was fearful that I wouldn't get a decent loaf of bread that way. I had already spent so much time tweaking my bread recipe that adding the step of soaking would put me right back at square one. I didn't like the idea of starting over. However, those who know me, may already know that once I learn that there is something that I can be doing to provide better nutrition for my family - it is very difficult for me to know it and not do it.

Since we have thrown ourselves so completely into the Maker's Diet - I knew that it was time to add this step if we were ever going to eat grains again. So, I did it. I made 2 loaves of bread - using the flour that I had ground the day before in my grain mill and had soaked for about 16 hours.

I was pleased with how the loaves turned out, however I do have a little tweaking to do to as I expected - however - they turned out really well for my first time!

I also soaked the flour for our pizza crust and it also turned out really well!

Some of you may be wondering: Why soak the flour?
The Value of Soaking Flour



No comments:

Post a Comment