Monday, March 25, 2013

Best Gluten Free Pizza Ever

I have been trying unsuccessfully to make gluten free pizza for months now. I've used recipes from other blogs that claimed to be the best pizza crust ever with terrible results. My husband would tell me that it tasted like strawberry shortcake with pizza toppings instead of strawberries. So, I decided to use a recipe that I had been using (successfully) for bread and turn it into a pizza crust. The above picture is what the crust looked like after I pre-baked it. It looked fantastic!
It was crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside just like a pizza crust should be!

I am so thankful that my husband can once again enjoy pizza night! I've included the recipe and the process.
If you do try out this recipe, please let me know how it works out for you. Leave me a comment here on my blog or send me an email!



Recipe:
120 grams Tapioca Flour
119 grams Brown Rice Flour
48 grams Potato Starch (not flour)
2 tsp xanthum gum
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
3 egg whites
3/4 cup warm water
1 packet of yeast or 2 1/2 teaspoons
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar

Use a scale to measure out the flours/starches. Mix all of the dry ingredients together.
In a small mixing bowl combine the warm water, honey, and oil. Add the yeast and allow time for the yeast to activate and become foamy. (about 5 minutes)
In the meantime, beat the egg whites in your mixer for about 1-2 minutes until peaks form. Once the yeast mixture is ready, add the wet and dry ingredients to the egg whites along with the apple cider vinegar and mix with the beater attachment for about 4 minutes scraping down the sides as you see fit.
Preheat oven to 170 degrees and then turn it off.
Divide the dough in half and spread the dough evenly on two pizza pans. (each pizza will be about 10-12 inches in diameter)
 Wet your hands with water so that the dough does not stick to your hands. Once both pizza doughs are spread out to about 1/2 inch thickness place both pans in the warmed oven for about 30 minutes.
Remove both pans from oven and make holes over the entire crust with a fork.
Put the crusts back in the oven, and then turn the oven on to 350 degrees and bake the two crusts at the same time. Keep in the oven for 16-17 minutes. About half way through baking crusts switch the crusts to the opposite racks. (so each crust has equal amounts of time on the bottom rack as the top rack)

Once the crusts are done, you can top them with your choice of toppings.
Preheat oven to 475 degrees
Bake for 3 minutes and 30 seconds then push the pizza off the pan and directly onto the oven rack and bake for about 3 more minutes.

If you have any questions about the instructions please let me know and I'll be happy to answer them!




5 comments:

  1. That looks so good that I want some!!! Congrats on mastering gluten free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I'm super excited about making it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sweet faces at the top made me smile :) Love those happy faces! Can't wait to try this recipe! Happy to have you join us! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    The party starts tonight! Can't wait to see what you bring this week!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a quick note, that I featured this recipe as one of my favorites this week! Thanks for linking up and looking forward to see what you share this week :) Cindy

    ReplyDelete