Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Praying the Scriptures

Right before school began this year, Rich and I spent some time thinking about and choosing a specific scripture passage for each of our children. The idea is that we wanted to choose a passage that specifically dealt with areas of struggle in their hearts and minds. Once we chose the scriptures for each child we committed to praying those specific scriptures over them hoping to invoke change in their hearts. We also hoped that it could be a tangible way for them to see the Holy Spirit working in their lives. In just a matter of days, I have seen God moving in a mighty way - not only in their lives, but in mine as watch how He is working.
I want to share one specific way that I have seen the power of the Holy Spirit working on Jonathan.
I chose Romans 12:9-10 for Jonathan.
"Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another."
The area where I was hoping to see growth in Jonathan was to love others well and think of others first before he does whatever he wants to do for himself.
For the past 10 days, since I started praying these scriptures over him, he has started carrying his Bible around with him everywhere as if it were the greatest treasure he has ever received. He has called the entire family together numerous times for family Bible reading time and prayer(he reads to us and prays for us) He has started reading his Bible everyday on his own without any prompting from me. If that is not powerful enough on its own, the other night when I was praying with him at bedtime, he looked up at me with eyes full of tears and said, "Mommy - I just want to get all of the bad things out of my head!"
I admit that I didn't make the connection right away with the scriptures that I had been praying over him and that statement that he made. However, this morning when I was praying for him, it hit me like a ton of bricks. God is working in Jonathan's heart to abhor what is evil! God is moving in the hearts of my children - and in my own heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment